Law Office of Jason H. Rosenblum, PLLC

Intellectually Protecting Your Property ®

How to Register Multiple Unpublished Works with the Copyright Office **Attorney Advertising**

Have you created multiple pieces of music, art, literature, poetry, or content that you wish to protect with a federal copyright? The good news is that you now may be able to submit all your pieces of work under one single application with the U.S. Copyright Office, which will save you time, money, and aggravation.
Rules for Publishing Groups of Unregistered Works or “GRUW”
“GRUW” is the acronym used by the Copyright Office for a “group of unpublished works.” You will need to select this option when utilizing the Copyright Office’s online registration platform if you wish to submit multiple works for copyright protection. Currently, you can register up to ten unpublished works using the same application provided all the works are created by the same author or the same co-authors, and that the author and claimant for each work are created by the same person or organization.
How Does the Process Work?
Complete the online application for a “GRUW” and pay the filing fee. Next, you will be asked to upload a digital copy of your works. It’s important to note that the Copyright Office will not accept a single file for all the works; you must upload separate digital files for each work you wish to register. Other requirements can be viewed here.
Important: Paper Applications Are No Longer Accepted
In the past, content creators were able to register their “unpublished collections” using paper registration. This is no longer allowed by the Copyright Office. Applicants must use the online application for a “Group of Unpublished Works.” Accordingly, all copies of work must be provided in digital files and mailed in paper or physical copies will cause the application to be rejected.
Getting Help
If you are interested in obtaining copyright protection for a group of unpublished works, our copyright attorneys can assist you with the process. To schedule an appointment, contact us at (888) 666-0062.
DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this article is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice or a substitute for obtaining legal advice from an attorney.