In an age of global commerce and trade, protecting your brand through a trademark has never been more crucial. A trademark not only fortifies your business identity but also shields your brand name and logo, carving out a distinct presence for them in an ever-expanding marketplace. If you’re contemplating securing a trademark for your business but are uncertain about the process or the costs involved, we’re here to help. This post provides a guide through the entire process, including the associated costs, to support you in your trademark journey.
- Trademark Search and Analysis: Before you can stake a claim to your unique brand identity, it’s essential to ensure that no one else has beaten you to it. This step involves a meticulous search for existing or pending trademarks that might conflict with yours, which requires a careful analysis of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) database. In some searches, we will also consider common law trademarks that might have priority over your trademark.
- Preparation and Filing of Trademark Application: Once you have determined the availability of your trademark, the next step involves preparing and filing the trademark application. This includes detailing the necessary information about your brand, product, or service.
- Monitoring of the Trademark Application: After filing, the application needs to be carefully monitored for any notifications or official actions from the USPTO. Any minor responses or post-filing prosecution are also taken care of during this stage.
Costs Involved in Securing a Trademark
Now, let’s dive into the specifics of the associated costs. At our firm, we offer different options to cater to your trademark needs:
- Trademark Legal Consult (TLC): Our TLC is a 30-minute consultation that costs a flat fee of $280. It’s designed to provide you with professional guidance on your trademark requirements and the ensuing steps.
- Search Options:
- Lightning Trademark Search: For a cost of $497, we offer a 45-minute consultation with an attorney for a clearance and availability search within the USPTO. This will help you understand the strength of your trademark and strategize on how best to proceed. If you wish to extend this search to international countries, we provide that service for an additional $100 per country.
- Comprehensive Trademark Search & Analysis: Priced at $750, this option includes a detailed search on a proprietary platform, consultation, and a legal opinion. If you prefer a detailed written report, that can be availed for an additional $750.
- Trademark Application Options:
- Standard Application: This service, priced at $1350, includes the preparation of the trademark application in one International Class of Goods & Services, filing of the application, USPTO official filing fees, docketing, monitoring, reporting of notices and official actions, minor responses, and post-filing prosecution. For each additional International Class, we charge an extra $175.
- Custom Class Application: This includes all services offered in the standard application but with a custom description. The cost is $1450, with an additional $350 for each extra International Class.
Note that an additional fee of at least $700 may apply for Intent-to-Use (ITU) applications. The exact cost may vary depending on the specific requirements of your trademark application. All costs are based on the current (July 2023) US government fees.
Embarking on the journey to secure a trademark might seem challenging, but with professional guidance from our trademark attorneys, it becomes a walk in the park. By understanding the process and cost implications, you can confidently take the first step toward legally protecting your brand identity.
Reach out to us today and let’s start the process of securing your business’s future. Click here to schedule an Initial Discovery Session online or call us at (888) 666-0062.
DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this article is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice or a substitute for obtaining legal advice from an attorney.